Saturday September 23, 2023
As part of our 70th Anniversary celebrations, we welcome the general public, Alumni and anyone with a curiosity for Earth Sciences to join us for our 15th Annual Geoheritage Day! Come out and visit exceptional geological sites in local parks and green spaces!
This year our volunteers will be on hand to explain the geologic features at the following sites from 10:00am to 3:00pm.
Champlain stromatolites, Gatineau, Quebec / Stomatolites du pont Champlain
Hog's Back Falls, Prince of Wales park, Ottawa / des Chutes de Hogs Back, parc Prince of Wales Ottawa
Pinhey Sand Dunes, Nepean / Dunes de Sable Pinhey
Cardinal Creek Karst, Orleans / Karst de Cardinal Creek, Orléans
W. Erskine Johnstone and Georges Vanier Catholic Schools / École W. Erskine Johnstone et École catholique Georges Vanier
Downtown Ottawa Building Stone Walking Tour (*will begin at noon at the Centennial Flame on Parliament Hill)
You can also visit sites on your own, or stay in and explore spectacular local and national geosites across Canada virtually through our Geoheritage Day website!
We have added more Geoheritage Sites to the Google Map, lots of information and images, and a selection of curated Virtual Field Trips to explore. Learn more about how geological processes have shaped the regional landscape, given us a glimpse into past environments and life forms and provided resources for our use.
Come out or stay in and spend the day with some remarkable rocks, minerals and fossils!
Updates and Changes for 2023 are listed below:
- A selection of local geosites will be hosted, with live experts-please see the list above
- Other sites will be un-hosted, with information posted on our Geoheritage Day website
- Guests can visit sites in person; please ensure you follow all local and provincial protocols and other relevant regulations
- Please note that collecting is not permitted on National Capital Commission property
- We would love to receive pictures from guests who are able to visit the sites. We'll post these pictures on our webpage and social media outlets. Please email pictures to: earth [dot] sciencescarleton [dot] ca