Particularly in earth sciences, it is important to gain experience in your field prior to graduation. Many students don't know that they are eligible for employment in their field of study right out of first year.
We encourage you to take advantage of available opportunities:
Summer field work could require a driver's license and (wilderness) first aid. Preference may be given to those who have firearms and/or safe boater certification.
- Caltech Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowships (SURF) program for outstanding, continuing undergraduate students
- Cox Internship The department is pleased to offer two paid summer internships - one in mineralogy at the research and collections facility of the Museum of Nature, and the other in gemology at the Geological Survey of Canada. Those who have successfully completed ERTH 2102 Mineralogy are eligible to apply. You will be notified by e-mail when applications open in February.
- Dean's Summer Research Internship (DSRI) High achieving, first year students in the Faculty of Science are encouraged to apply to for a summer internship with a sponsoring faculty member. These are paid positions that give the student the opportunity to contribute to a research program. Eligible students receive e-mail notification from the dean's office when applications open. Read about a past DSRI in earth sciences.
- Federal Student Work Experience Program (FSWEP) Apply to the federal government over the Christmas vacation/in early January for summer positions at the Geological Survey of Canada, Environment Canada, the Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut Geological Surveys, etc.
- NSERC Undergraduate Student Research Awards (USRA) program Students are eligible to apply right out of first year. These highly competitive awards provide summer employment at Carleton or another Canadian university. Click on the link for a list of eligible faculty supervisors for this program.
- Summer Field Assistant with the Ontario Geological Survey Students are eligible to apply right out of first year. Employees benefit from extensive health and safety training. This is a fantastic learning experience. The department has been very successful at having students employed with this program
- International Exchange Carleton University offers an incredible number of international exchange opportunities. Students are encouraged to apply during the fall of their second year in order to study abroad during their third year. Not all partners offer an earth sciences program. Once you have determined two or three universities you are interested in, please send course descriptions to the Undergraduate Adviser for feedback.
- Internship-Carleton University Research Experience for Undergraduate Students (I-CUREUS) This program is available in the fall, winter or both terms for a minimum of 8 weeks. Both part- and full-time students are eligible to apply in conjunction with a sponsoring faculty member. The application deadline is in October.